The Fairview Fire District, in cooperation with the Dutchess County Traffic Safety Board, offers free child safety seat inspections to the public. The fire department currently has six certified technicians who have been trained through the Safe Kids Worldwide Program. Fairview Firefighters inspect an average of 500 seats annually, of which nearly 95% are fitted incorrectly. New York State Law requires all children under the age of 7 to be seated in a child safety seat. If child safety seats are installed incorrectly, a child’s chances of being injured in a motor vehicle crash can be greatly increased. See below for details on how to schedule a child safety seat inspection.
Steps in a car seat inspection:
- Make, Model, and year of the car seat.
- Checking to see if the seat has been recalled.
- Verify that the seat is installed correctly and/or make necessary changes.
- Educate parents/guardians on use and installation of the seat.
- Address any other questions and concerns.
A typical car seat check should take anywhere from 20-30 minutes. We ask the parents to bring their vehicle owner’s manual, car seat manual, and if possible, the child who will be using the seat. A proper inspection takes time, and our inspectors perform many of them. Please also remember that our inspectors are Firefighters on duty, and have other duties which may include leaving the station to answer emergency calls. There may not be a certified inspector on duty at all times. For these reasons, we ask that persons desiring a child safety seat inspection call the station in advance to schedule and appointment.
For more information, or to schedule a child safety seat inspection, please call the Fire Station at (845) 452-8770.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Why must I make an appointment to have my safety seat inspected?
A: The firefighters checking your seat are on duty, and may have to leave the station to answer emergency calls. Also, there may not be a technician on duty at the station at all times. Calling ahead allows us to ensure that someone will be available to provide the inspection, or refer you to another agency that may be able to provide urgent service.
Q: What are the hours for car seat inspections?
A: Hours for car seat inspections are 8am-8pm, 7 days per week. If you require special arrangements, please call the fire station. We will be happy to work with you.
Q: Is it true that the Fire District gives away free car seats?
A: We do have a limited number of new seats available. Seats are not simply given away, however. You are eligible for a free seat under the following conditions:
- The child is with you, and the seat they are currently using is unsafe for travel. (i.e. too old, damaged, or not appropriate for their weight and size.)
- Please also be advised that seats must also be installed into your own car, (we cannot install seats into taxi cabs, or cars which the seat will be immediately removed from.)